. NEW DELHI: Union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava on Wednesday chaired a high-level meeting with health secretaries of all states and Union territories to review preparedness and response measures against Ebola virus disease, following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).The review comes as Ebola cases in Uganda and DR Congo has crossed the death toll of 100 people.The meeting focused on strengthening surveillance, screening, quarantine protocols and hospital readiness, even as the Centre confirmed that no Ebola case has been detected in the country so far.The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.The Union health secretary stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and readiness of designated healthcare facilities to deal with any potential threat. Ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are working in coordination with the health ministry on preventive and surveillance measures.The ministry underlined that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness, pointing to the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.The global health body said monitoring of contacts has remained difficult in certain parts of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.About the AuthorTOI News DeskThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most.”Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideos’India Won’t Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail’: Rajnath Singh In South KoreaWho Is Ryan Williams? Footballer Who Gave Up Australian Citizenship To Play For IndiaCongress To Join Tamil Nadu Cabinet After 59 Years As Vijay Expands TVK GovernmentIndia, Italy Elevate Ties; PM Modi’s ‘Melody’ Gift To Meloni Goes Viral | Headlines@9Parle Industries Shares Jump 5% After Modi-Meloni’s ‘Melody’ Moment, But There’s A CatchItaly PM Giorgia Meloni Speaks Hindi During Joint Presser With PM Modi | Viral ‘Melodi’ Moment’Anarchic Mindset’: BJP Slams Rahul Gandhi For ‘Traitors’ Remark On PM Modi, Amit Shah’Warned India of Economic Storm, Then Flew to Italy on ₹4,000 Crore Jet’: Rahul Gandhi Slams PM ModiIndia Successfully Tests Suryastra Precision Rocket System With 300-Km Strike CapabilityThree Newly Married Women Die Within Five Days Across MP And UP, Families Allege Dowry Harassment123PhotostoriesThought of the day inspired by the Bhagavad Gita: “Sometimes surrender is greater than control.”From turmeric to aloe vera: 5 most Googled Indian beauty ingredients of 202610 twin baby boy and girl names that are super cuteThey never smoked, but they got mouth cancer: What doctors want young people to know nowBella Hadid’s Cannes 2026 looks are a masterclass in quiet luxury glamour”Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi…” CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook ‘right’ at homeMorning affirmation at 5 am: What happens when your brain hears positive words before sunriseInternational Tea Day 2026: 6 culinary uses of tea leaves apart from making teaUrvashi Rautela said ‘too much’ is the ultimate mood with not one but two extravagant gowns at Cannes 2026Exclusive – From Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah to Dhurandhar, Rakesh Bedi and Asit Kumarr Modi get candid about their bond and journey; actor reacts to David Dhawan’s remark123Hot PicksSBI apprentice recruitment 2026US Iran warCBSE Class 12 re-evaluation 2026Gold price predictionAdani Group stocksNEET exam cancelledMHT CET Result 2026Top TrendingCBSE Answer SheetTwisha SharmaIPL Playoff RaceTN Results 2026Odisha 12th ResultsIPL 2026IPL Orange Cap 2026India VS Afghanistan Squad AnnouncementMHT CET Result DateJahangir Khan
NEW DELHI: Union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava on Wednesday chaired a high-level meeting with health secretaries of all states and Union territories to review preparedness and response measures against Ebola virus disease, following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).The review comes as Ebola cases in Uganda and DR Congo has crossed the death toll of 100 people.The meeting focused on strengthening surveillance, screening, quarantine protocols and hospital readiness, even as the Centre confirmed that no Ebola case has been detected in the country so far.The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.The Union health secretary stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and readiness of designated healthcare facilities to deal with any potential threat. Ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are working in coordination with the health ministry on preventive and surveillance measures.The ministry underlined that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness, pointing to the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.The global health body said monitoring of contacts has remained difficult in certain parts of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.