Demonstrators stage a protest outside Jharkhand secretariat after cabinet decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination in Ranchi NEW DELHI: Around 2,000 successful candidates of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination protested outside the Jharkhand Secretariat on Tuesday, fearing that the state government’s decision to cancel the exam could cost them their jobs.“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out,” one of the candidates said, as quoted by news agency PTI, capturing the anger and uncertainty among those who have already been appointed to government posts.The Jharkhand government on Monday night announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, following sustained protests over alleged irregularities in government recruitment exams.While the decision was a key demand of the protesting job aspirants, it has triggered a fresh dispute with candidates who cleared the JSSC-CGL examination arguing that they should not be punished for alleged wrongdoing unless their individual involvement is established.Successful candidates demand CBI probeThe affected candidates said they do not oppose an investigation into alleged irregularities but want an opportunity to defend themselves. They are now also demanding a CBI probe into the examination process.Kaushal Kumar, an assistant section officer in the Jharkhand government, said the candidates had joined their posts after the recruitment process and court proceedings.“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out. We were appointed after a court order,” he said.Appealing to the government outside the Secretariat, Kumar added, “We have come with all documents. Don’t cancel it (exams). Probe it. Do a CBI probe or whatever investigation you deem fit, but please don’t do injustice to us.”The candidates had attempted to meet Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday night as he held a marathon meeting with his Cabinet colleagues on the demand to cancel recruitment examinations.The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been leading the agitation for more than two weeks over alleged corruption and irregularities in job exams.Another appointee, Chanda Kumari, questioned whether successful candidates had been given a fair chance to present their case before the cancellation decision.“Democracy means that 100 guilty may be spared, but no innocent should be punished,” she said.Kumari, who said she comes from a poor background, said she had qualified the 14th JPSC examination and the Forest Range Officer mains examination through hard work.“We could not have bought all these jobs,” she said, rejecting the suggestion that all successful candidates had benefited from alleged malpractice.Candidates cite court scrutiny, fear age-bar problemThe candidates have pointed to previous judicial proceedings involving the recruitment process, saying the examination had already faced investigation and court scrutiny.They said the Jharkhand High Court, in a December judgment, rejected a demand for a CBI investigation and held that the existing Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe was adequate.They are now seeking a distinction between candidates accused of wrongdoing and those who secured appointments without any established misconduct.S K Singh, another protester, said many candidates had already waited years for the recruitment process to conclude and had joined government service after legal proceedings.“You cannot throw us out without any rhyme or reason,” he said.Kumar claimed that more than 500 successful candidates had even left Central government jobs after securing appointments in Jharkhand.“One resigned from a Level-6 central position, a job in the India Meteorological Department, to join a job here. Where would we go?” he said.Several candidates are now threatening further legal action and hunger strikes. They are particularly concerned that fresh recruitment may not offer a realistic alternative to those who have crossed the upper age limit for government jobs.Government defends cancellation, promises recruitment reformsThe state government has defended the cancellation as necessary to restore confidence in the recruitment system amid allegations of irregularities.Higher and technical education minister Sudivya Kumar said the successful candidates could seek legal recourse.JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged the candidates’ concerns and said the party was sympathetic to them.“We are sympathetic to them,” Pandey said, while maintaining that fresh vacancies would provide opportunities to deserving candidates. He also referred to a judicial inquiry headed by a retired judge.Join conversationView All Comments →Share your thoughts in the commentsInsightfulAgreeDisagreeSkepticalConcerningPromisingWorth ReadingBig DevelopmentPost CommentBe respectful · TOI community guidelinesChief minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation late on Monday and said an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment examination process.After Soren’s announcement, student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike, calling the decision a “huge victory for Jharkhand”.“I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision, canceling an exam was a massive challenge,” he said.“Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue,” Mahto added.The government has also said it will overhaul the examination system and strengthen enforcement against the use of unfair means.Get the latest India News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.About the AuthorTOI News DeskThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most.”Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideosVijay Apologises In Assembly After Karunanidhi Remark Sparks DMK Uproar Over Decorum BreachCriminal Cases Against Netas: 4,192 Trials Pending, 170 Lok Sabha MPs Face Serious ChargesJSSC-CGL CANCELLED: Jharkhand Students Celebrate After Government Accepts Key Demands“No Compensation, Build A School”: CJP Volunteer Emotional Tribute To Father Leaves Ranka In TearsAsish Banerjee Death Mystery: Threat, Blackmail Angle Probed As Note And Phones Face ScrutinyBJP’s Big Shake-Up: Ram Madhav Returns, Smriti Irani Gets Key Role In Nitin Nabin’s New Team‘Will Rise For Vande Mataram, But Won’t Sing’: Congress MP Imran Masood Amid Sonia Gandhi Row‘Personally Meet Students’: Rahul Gandhi Writes To CM Hemant Soren Over Jharkhand Protests7 Charred To Death, Several Injured In Fire At Hotel Near Tarapith Temple In Bengal’s Birbhum‘Electric Pole Fell’: 7 Women Dead, Many Injured In Stampede At Temple In Bihar’s Lakhisarai123PhotostoriesYou may feel completely fine, but these 6 everyday habits could be hurting your kidneysClassic Kasavu to rich Kanjeevaram:5 South Indian sarees to wear for Onam 2026From handloom cotton to merino wool: 6 fabrics every woman should choose this autumn for comfort, skin health and style10 vegetarian dishes from around the world that Indians will genuinely loveCharu Asopa breaks silence on financial struggles, debt and claims of keeping Ziana away from grandparents amid divorceSun Ketu in Leo 2026: Remedies you can perform according to your zodiac signWhy does dal foam while boiling? Should you actually remove it?Why does aluminium foil have a shiny and dull side? Here’s the science behind it5 Snakes that thrive in extreme climates: Here’s how they survive harsh weather conditionsForget quinoa: 9 ways to add dalia to your daily breakfast123Hot PicksArshdeep Singh DangBank holidays this weekBihar STET 2026BJP new teamJharkhand ProtestJSSC-CGL exam cancelledAbhijeet DipkeSupreme Court HolidayTwisha SharmaTop TrendingTwisha SharmaDelhi Draft PollMadhya Pradesh AccidentKolkata Airport Building FireAbhijeet DipkeKiren RijijuBengaluru Double MurderWeather TomorrowBengaluru RapidoBen Gvir
NEW DELHI: Around 2,000 successful candidates of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination protested outside the Jharkhand Secretariat on Tuesday, fearing that the state government’s decision to cancel the exam could cost them their jobs.“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out,” one of the candidates said, as quoted by news agency PTI, capturing the anger and uncertainty among those who have already been appointed to government posts.The Jharkhand government on Monday night announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, following sustained protests over alleged irregularities in government recruitment exams.While the decision was a key demand of the protesting job aspirants, it has triggered a fresh dispute with candidates who cleared the JSSC-CGL examination arguing that they should not be punished for alleged wrongdoing unless their individual involvement is established.
Successful candidates demand CBI probe
The affected candidates said they do not oppose an investigation into alleged irregularities but want an opportunity to defend themselves. They are now also demanding a CBI probe into the examination process.Kaushal Kumar, an assistant section officer in the Jharkhand government, said the candidates had joined their posts after the recruitment process and court proceedings.“Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out. We were appointed after a court order,” he said.Appealing to the government outside the Secretariat, Kumar added, “We have come with all documents. Don’t cancel it (exams). Probe it. Do a CBI probe or whatever investigation you deem fit, but please don’t do injustice to us.”The candidates had attempted to meet Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday night as he held a marathon meeting with his Cabinet colleagues on the demand to cancel recruitment examinations.The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been leading the agitation for more than two weeks over alleged corruption and irregularities in job exams.Another appointee, Chanda Kumari, questioned whether successful candidates had been given a fair chance to present their case before the cancellation decision.“Democracy means that 100 guilty may be spared, but no innocent should be punished,” she said.Kumari, who said she comes from a poor background, said she had qualified the 14th JPSC examination and the Forest Range Officer mains examination through hard work.“We could not have bought all these jobs,” she said, rejecting the suggestion that all successful candidates had benefited from alleged malpractice.
Candidates cite court scrutiny, fear age-bar problem
The candidates have pointed to previous judicial proceedings involving the recruitment process, saying the examination had already faced investigation and court scrutiny.They said the Jharkhand High Court, in a December judgment, rejected a demand for a CBI investigation and held that the existing Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe was adequate.They are now seeking a distinction between candidates accused of wrongdoing and those who secured appointments without any established misconduct.S K Singh, another protester, said many candidates had already waited years for the recruitment process to conclude and had joined government service after legal proceedings.“You cannot throw us out without any rhyme or reason,” he said.Kumar claimed that more than 500 successful candidates had even left Central government jobs after securing appointments in Jharkhand.“One resigned from a Level-6 central position, a job in the India Meteorological Department, to join a job here. Where would we go?” he said.Several candidates are now threatening further legal action and hunger strikes. They are particularly concerned that fresh recruitment may not offer a realistic alternative to those who have crossed the upper age limit for government jobs.
Government defends cancellation, promises recruitment reforms
The state government has defended the cancellation as necessary to restore confidence in the recruitment system amid allegations of irregularities.Higher and technical education minister Sudivya Kumar said the successful candidates could seek legal recourse.JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged the candidates’ concerns and said the party was sympathetic to them.“We are sympathetic to them,” Pandey said, while maintaining that fresh vacancies would provide opportunities to deserving candidates. He also referred to a judicial inquiry headed by a retired judge.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Be respectful · TOI community guidelines
Chief minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation late on Monday and said an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment examination process.After Soren’s announcement, student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike, calling the decision a “huge victory for Jharkhand”.“I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision, canceling an exam was a massive challenge,” he said.“Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue,” Mahto added.The government has also said it will overhaul the examination system and strengthen enforcement against the use of unfair means.