Congress leader Rahul Gandhi. Photo credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Police have granted permission for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s August 22 ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ event in Pune, subject to 30 conditions, including a ban on “objectionable” banners and images. The police have also directed organisers to ensure that religious sentiments are not hurt during the event.The event, billed as the ‘voice of students’, is dedicated to female students and will focus on education, safety, equality, competitive exams and career opportunities.According to the permission order issued on Wednesday, the programme will be held from 4.30 pm to 9.30 pm at the SSPMS College ground near RTO Chowk. Police expect 8,000 to 10,000 people to attend.Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, reacting to the campaign, said the event appeared to be a “monologue” rather than a dialogue with students. The CM told PTI, “Whether it is ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ programme or Rahul Gandhi is trying to find his political ground, I cannot say. But from what I understand, if they had held an open event of this kind, perhaps it would have been a dialogue with students.”Fadnavis alleged that entry to the event would be restricted to registered girls from Congress-affiliated educational institutions. “An attempt is being made to ensure that only people who subscribe to their ideology attend the event,” he said, adding, “Therefore, we may call it ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’, but at the same time, I would say that, with those who have been invited through Congress, this is more of a monologue than a dialogue.”Meanwhile, among the conditions, organisers have been told not to display “objectionable images, pictures or banners”. They will also be responsible for any untoward incident that results in a law-and-order situation, the order said.“No one’s religious sentiments should be hurt during the programme and responsibility for ensuring this will be on the organisers,” it stated, according to news agency PTI.Maharashtra congress vice president Mohan Joshi confirmed that permission had been granted and said the organisers would comply with all 30 conditions.Police have also directed organisers to provide adequate security, separate arrangements for men and women, sufficient entry and exit gates, drinking water, toilets, fire-safety equipment and parking facilities.Private security personnel, including women guards, and volunteers, particularly women, are to be deployed. CCTV cameras covering the venue must remain operational during the day and night.The organisers have also been directed to comply with Supreme Court directions on permissible noise levels, as well as the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000 and the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.Drones have been prohibited for photography at the venue, while emergency access for police, medical and fire services must remain available.The permission is subject to a no-objection certificate from the traffic department and can be cancelled if any illegal activity affecting law and order is detected, police said. Any dispute over the venue will also lead to immediate cancellation of the permission.Join conversationView All Comments →Share your thoughts in the commentsInsightfulAgreeDisagreeSkepticalConcerningPromisingWorth ReadingBig DevelopmentPost CommentBe respectful · TOI community guidelinesThe restrictions come as Pune police have imposed 14-day prohibitory orders across the city from Tuesday until August 31, citing security concerns linked to upcoming festivals and protests.Congress leader Pawan Khera has alleged that the restrictions were imposed to disrupt Gandhi’s programme. Police, however, have cited security requirements.Gandhi launched the student-focused campaign in Kota on June 17 and later addressed its second and third segments in Dehradun and Prayagraj on July 17 and August 8.Get the latest India News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.About the AuthorSubhadra SrivastavaSubhadra Srivastava is a journalist with The Times of India, covering geopolitics, international and national affairs. With over three years of experience, she focuses on national and global developments, conflict, diplomacy and their impact on India. Her work combines breaking news with in-depth analysis, offering readers context and clarity on the stories shaping the world.Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideosMaharashtra’s Power Shift: Fadnavis Can Now Reverse Ministerial Decisions In Public InterestIndia Removes Pakistan Mission Barricades After Islamabad Move, Tensions Rise Over Kashmir RemarksModi Govt’s Gen-Z Outreach: One Union Minister To Visit One University Daily‘Fuel For Free’: Chandigarh’s ‘Petrol Langar’ Turns Chaotic, Leaves People Fuming‘No Respect For Court’: Arrest Warrant Against Mahua Moitra In Hate Speech CaseUS Envoy Calls J&K ‘Important Part Of India’ During 1st Kashmir Visit After Article 370 AbrogationPatna Erupts As Tejashwi Yadav Detained During RJD March Over Siwan AK-47 And Paper Leak RowPakistan’s 2 AM Panic Over Operation Sindoor Documentary: Pak Army Calls It ‘Tragedy & Comedy’Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills 9, Six Injured; 80 Rescued As Safety Norms Face Serious QuestionsSupreme Court To Form Panel On July 20 Clash, Examine Police Force And Alleged Pellet Gun Use123PhotostoriesToo much salt in curry or sabzi? 9 easy ways to fix it and the science behind them7 simple hacks to restore work-life balance while working from homeFrom protecting gadgets to sealing snacks: 5 smart ways to use aluminium foil while travellingLove quote of the day by Barack Obama: “If you were going to list the 100 most popular things that I have done as president, being married to Michelle Obama is No. 1″Bigg Boss Tamil 10: From Snehan’s father’s emotional entry to Maya’s family surprise; a look at some of the show’s most emotional momentsWhy breaking noodles before cooking is considered unlucky in ChinaPrince Harry and Meghan moving back to Britain? Inside the Sussexes’ journey from ‘Megxit’ to their reported U-turn to UK after ‘American Dream’If you think Marcello Muratori from ‘Emily in Paris’ is fictional, meet the real Italian luxury dynasty that inspired his characterBigg Boss 20: From Mary Kom and Mouni Roy to Rajat Bedi, Rumoured contestants of Salman Khan-hosted show5 tips to improve your communication skills123Hot PicksBPSC TRE 4.0 notificationBank holidays this weekGTU results 2026Pennsylvania plane crashOil export IndiaFaceless assessmentRSS sanctionZepto internshipPakistan High CommissionTop TrendingHyderabad MurderPakistan High CommissionTwisha SharmaKarnataka MurderKerala MurderAbhijeet DipkeSukesh ChandrashekharRahul GandhiBengaluru RapidoBen Gvir

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi. Photo credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Police have granted permission for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s August 22 ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ event in Pune, subject to 30 conditions, including a ban on “objectionable” banners and images. The police have also directed organisers to ensure that religious sentiments are not hurt during the event.The event, billed as the ‘voice of students’, is dedicated to female students and will focus on education, safety, equality, competitive exams and career opportunities.According to the permission order issued on Wednesday, the programme will be held from 4.30 pm to 9.30 pm at the SSPMS College ground near RTO Chowk. Police expect 8,000 to 10,000 people to attend.Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, reacting to the campaign, said the event appeared to be a “monologue” rather than a dialogue with students. The CM told PTI, “Whether it is ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ programme or Rahul Gandhi is trying to find his political ground, I cannot say. But from what I understand, if they had held an open event of this kind, perhaps it would have been a dialogue with students.”Fadnavis alleged that entry to the event would be restricted to registered girls from Congress-affiliated educational institutions. “An attempt is being made to ensure that only people who subscribe to their ideology attend the event,” he said, adding, “Therefore, we may call it ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’, but at the same time, I would say that, with those who have been invited through Congress, this is more of a monologue than a dialogue.”Meanwhile, among the conditions, organisers have been told not to display “objectionable images, pictures or banners”. They will also be responsible for any untoward incident that results in a law-and-order situation, the order said.“No one’s religious sentiments should be hurt during the programme and responsibility for ensuring this will be on the organisers,” it stated, according to news agency PTI.Maharashtra congress vice president Mohan Joshi confirmed that permission had been granted and said the organisers would comply with all 30 conditions.Police have also directed organisers to provide adequate security, separate arrangements for men and women, sufficient entry and exit gates, drinking water, toilets, fire-safety equipment and parking facilities.Private security personnel, including women guards, and volunteers, particularly women, are to be deployed. CCTV cameras covering the venue must remain operational during the day and night.The organisers have also been directed to comply with Supreme Court directions on permissible noise levels, as well as the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000 and the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.Drones have been prohibited for photography at the venue, while emergency access for police, medical and fire services must remain available.The permission is subject to a no-objection certificate from the traffic department and can be cancelled if any illegal activity affecting law and order is detected, police said. Any dispute over the venue will also lead to immediate cancellation of the permission.Join conversationView All Comments →Share your thoughts in the commentsInsightfulAgreeDisagreeSkepticalConcerningPromisingWorth ReadingBig DevelopmentPost CommentBe respectful · TOI community guidelinesThe restrictions come as Pune police have imposed 14-day prohibitory orders across the city from Tuesday until August 31, citing security concerns linked to upcoming festivals and protests.Congress leader Pawan Khera has alleged that the restrictions were imposed to disrupt Gandhi’s programme. Police, however, have cited security requirements.Gandhi launched the student-focused campaign in Kota on June 17 and later addressed its second and third segments in Dehradun and Prayagraj on July 17 and August 8.Get the latest India News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.About the AuthorSubhadra SrivastavaSubhadra Srivastava is a journalist with The Times of India, covering geopolitics, international and national affairs. With over three years of experience, she focuses on national and global developments, conflict, diplomacy and their impact on India. Her work combines breaking news with in-depth analysis, offering readers context and clarity on the stories shaping the world.Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideosMaharashtra’s Power Shift: Fadnavis Can Now Reverse Ministerial Decisions In Public InterestIndia Removes Pakistan Mission Barricades After Islamabad Move, Tensions Rise Over Kashmir RemarksModi Govt’s Gen-Z Outreach: One Union Minister To Visit One University Daily‘Fuel For Free’: Chandigarh’s ‘Petrol Langar’ Turns Chaotic, Leaves People Fuming‘No Respect For Court’: Arrest Warrant Against Mahua Moitra In Hate Speech CaseUS Envoy Calls J&K ‘Important Part Of India’ During 1st Kashmir Visit After Article 370 AbrogationPatna Erupts As Tejashwi Yadav Detained During RJD March Over Siwan AK-47 And Paper Leak RowPakistan’s 2 AM Panic Over Operation Sindoor Documentary: Pak Army Calls It ‘Tragedy & Comedy’Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills 9, Six Injured; 80 Rescued As Safety Norms Face Serious QuestionsSupreme Court To Form Panel On July 20 Clash, Examine Police Force And Alleged Pellet Gun Use123PhotostoriesToo much salt in curry or sabzi? 9 easy ways to fix it and the science behind them7 simple hacks to restore work-life balance while working from homeFrom protecting gadgets to sealing snacks: 5 smart ways to use aluminium foil while travellingLove quote of the day by Barack Obama: “If you were going to list the 100 most popular things that I have done as president, being married to Michelle Obama is No. 1″Bigg Boss Tamil 10: From Snehan’s father’s emotional entry to Maya’s family surprise; a look at some of the show’s most emotional momentsWhy breaking noodles before cooking is considered unlucky in ChinaPrince Harry and Meghan moving back to Britain? Inside the Sussexes’ journey from ‘Megxit’ to their reported U-turn to UK after ‘American Dream’If you think Marcello Muratori from ‘Emily in Paris’ is fictional, meet the real Italian luxury dynasty that inspired his characterBigg Boss 20: From Mary Kom and Mouni Roy to Rajat Bedi, Rumoured contestants of Salman Khan-hosted show5 tips to improve your communication skills123Hot PicksBPSC TRE 4.0 notificationBank holidays this weekGTU results 2026Pennsylvania plane crashOil export IndiaFaceless assessmentRSS sanctionZepto internshipPakistan High CommissionTop TrendingHyderabad MurderPakistan High CommissionTwisha SharmaKarnataka MurderKerala MurderAbhijeet DipkeSukesh ChandrashekharRahul GandhiBengaluru RapidoBen Gvir


Rahul Gandhi's 'Chhatron Ki Goonj' event in Pune gets nod with 30 conditions; CM Fadnavis reacts
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi. Photo credit: ANI

NEW DELHI: Police have granted permission for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s August 22 ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ event in Pune, subject to 30 conditions, including a ban on “objectionable” banners and images. The police have also directed organisers to ensure that religious sentiments are not hurt during the event.The event, billed as the ‘voice of students’, is dedicated to female students and will focus on education, safety, equality, competitive exams and career opportunities.According to the permission order issued on Wednesday, the programme will be held from 4.30 pm to 9.30 pm at the SSPMS College ground near RTO Chowk. Police expect 8,000 to 10,000 people to attend.Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, reacting to the campaign, said the event appeared to be a “monologue” rather than a dialogue with students. The CM told PTI, “Whether it is ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ programme or Rahul Gandhi is trying to find his political ground, I cannot say. But from what I understand, if they had held an open event of this kind, perhaps it would have been a dialogue with students.”Fadnavis alleged that entry to the event would be restricted to registered girls from Congress-affiliated educational institutions. “An attempt is being made to ensure that only people who subscribe to their ideology attend the event,” he said, adding, “Therefore, we may call it ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’, but at the same time, I would say that, with those who have been invited through Congress, this is more of a monologue than a dialogue.”Meanwhile, among the conditions, organisers have been told not to display “objectionable images, pictures or banners”. They will also be responsible for any untoward incident that results in a law-and-order situation, the order said.“No one’s religious sentiments should be hurt during the programme and responsibility for ensuring this will be on the organisers,” it stated, according to news agency PTI.Maharashtra congress vice president Mohan Joshi confirmed that permission had been granted and said the organisers would comply with all 30 conditions.Police have also directed organisers to provide adequate security, separate arrangements for men and women, sufficient entry and exit gates, drinking water, toilets, fire-safety equipment and parking facilities.Private security personnel, including women guards, and volunteers, particularly women, are to be deployed. CCTV cameras covering the venue must remain operational during the day and night.The organisers have also been directed to comply with Supreme Court directions on permissible noise levels, as well as the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000 and the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.Drones have been prohibited for photography at the venue, while emergency access for police, medical and fire services must remain available.The permission is subject to a no-objection certificate from the traffic department and can be cancelled if any illegal activity affecting law and order is detected, police said. Any dispute over the venue will also lead to immediate cancellation of the permission.

Share your thoughts in the comments