Anti-reservation protest at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar NEW DELHI: No permission has been granted for Sunday’s planned protest against the UGC Equity Regulations, 2026, and the reservation system at Shah Auditorium in the capital, Delhi Police clarified.The police described videos circulating on social media claiming that permission had been granted as “false and misleading.””It is further clarified that prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS (erstwhile Section 144 CrPC) are already in force in the North District. Accordingly, protest marches, processions, demonstrations, and assemblies of five or more persons are strictly prohibited,” the Delhi Police said.Urging citizens not to amplify, forward or share any unverified content on social media, the force warned of strict legal action against those found creating or disseminating fake news.This comes after a large number of people gathered at Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), calling for a complete overhaul of the reservation system.The protesters demanded that quotas in academics and employment be determined strictly by income levels rather than social or caste identities. They also advocated for a “one family, one reservation” policy and called for the immediate withdrawal of the University Grants Commission’s (UGC) 2026 caste-equity directives.Security personnel were present at Jantar Mantar as protesters assembled at the designated protest area. The police deployment was carried out as a precautionary measure amid the large gathering.RHA is an official Instagram page with 5.6 million followers. The platform rapidly gained traction by adopting the protest-mobilisation tactics of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), which led protests in Delhi against the NEET paper leak.Join conversationView All Comments →Share your thoughts in the commentsInsightfulAgreeDisagreeSkepticalConcerningPromisingWorth ReadingBig DevelopmentPost CommentBe respectful · TOI community guidelinesMeanwhile, the Centre has informed the Supreme Court that it is currently reconsidering the UGC’s equity regulations, which seek to address caste-based discrimination in higher educational institutions.The regulations had already been kept in abeyance by the top court on January 29. At the time, the court said the provisions were “prima facie vague” and could have “very sweeping consequences”, warning that they could potentially divide society and have a “dangerous impact”.The top court had also asked the Centre and the UGC to respond to three petitions challenging the new framework.The bench also questioned the exclusion of ragging from the regulations, noting that it remains a “common form of harassment” in educational institutions.The court had further observed that the wording of the 2026 regulations appeared “prima facie vague” and “capable of misuse”.Get the latest India News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.About the AuthorTOI News DeskThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most.”Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideosYoutuber Ajeet Bharti Lists 4 Big Demands At Jantar Mantar, Calls For Reservation Reform And MeritPM Modi Meets BJP’s New Team At Delhi HQ As Party Pushes Vande Mataram Legacy Nationwide‘48 Hours Or Sit-In’: Abhijeet Dipke Warns After CJP Team Allegedly Attacked Near Jaipur SchoolIndiGo Delhi-Gorakhpur Flight Makes Two Go-Arounds, Suffers Tail Impact During Third LandingPunjab Gangster’s Thar Rams Coconut Seller During Police Chase, CCTV Captures Entire IncidentRajasthan School Crisis: 611 Schools Lack Buildings, Thousands More Face Unsafe InfrastructureBJP Builds Gen Z Team As Rahul Gandhi Takes Student Outreach To Pune With ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’SC-ST Act Repeal, Creamy Layer Demand: Protesters Seek Major Overhaul Of India’s Reservation SystemBCI Chief Manan Mishra Rejects CJP’s Resignation Demand, Says Lawyers Can Never Be CockroachesH1N1 Cases Rise In Delhi: Health Minister Nadda Holds Meet, Reviews Swine Flu Situation123PhotostoriesWhy are Gen Zs losing more hair than millennials?5 signs you have a TOXIC wifeNayanthara’s ivory saree, gold choker and gajra are a masterclass in minimal but classic Onam style10 meaningful baby boy names inspired by positive human qualities10 famous foods that became popular when people had very little moneyFrom Ed Sheeran to Elton John: Stars who stay away from technologyBandhani to Leheriya: Indian textiles fashion lovers often mistake for each other7 telltale signs your ‘office bestie’ is quietly competing with youHair fall getting worse every monsoon? Expert explains what humidity, sweat and rainwater are doing to your scalp and how to prevent itFrom a net worth of over Rs 2,000 crores to a lavish house in Delhi: Shalini Passi’s luxurious lifestyle123Hot PicksTCS laptop monitoring softwareTNEA counselling3 year practice ruleCM Revanth ReddyWeather tomorrowNEET UG 2026US-Canada tradeSIM card rulesBank holiday todayTop TrendingMumbai Rape AirhostessReservation Hatao AndolanLucknow Double Murder SuicideMadhapur Road AccidentMaharashtra Hill TragedyAbhijeet DipkeJharkhand Factory FireRahul GandhiBengaluru RapidoAston Martin Crash

Anti-reservation protest at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar NEW DELHI: No permission has been granted for Sunday’s planned protest against the UGC Equity Regulations, 2026, and the reservation system at Shah Auditorium in the capital, Delhi Police clarified.The police described videos circulating on social media claiming that permission had been granted as “false and misleading.””It is further clarified that prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS (erstwhile Section 144 CrPC) are already in force in the North District. Accordingly, protest marches, processions, demonstrations, and assemblies of five or more persons are strictly prohibited,” the Delhi Police said.Urging citizens not to amplify, forward or share any unverified content on social media, the force warned of strict legal action against those found creating or disseminating fake news.This comes after a large number of people gathered at Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), calling for a complete overhaul of the reservation system.The protesters demanded that quotas in academics and employment be determined strictly by income levels rather than social or caste identities. They also advocated for a “one family, one reservation” policy and called for the immediate withdrawal of the University Grants Commission’s (UGC) 2026 caste-equity directives.Security personnel were present at Jantar Mantar as protesters assembled at the designated protest area. The police deployment was carried out as a precautionary measure amid the large gathering.RHA is an official Instagram page with 5.6 million followers. The platform rapidly gained traction by adopting the protest-mobilisation tactics of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), which led protests in Delhi against the NEET paper leak.Join conversationView All Comments →Share your thoughts in the commentsInsightfulAgreeDisagreeSkepticalConcerningPromisingWorth ReadingBig DevelopmentPost CommentBe respectful · TOI community guidelinesMeanwhile, the Centre has informed the Supreme Court that it is currently reconsidering the UGC’s equity regulations, which seek to address caste-based discrimination in higher educational institutions.The regulations had already been kept in abeyance by the top court on January 29. At the time, the court said the provisions were “prima facie vague” and could have “very sweeping consequences”, warning that they could potentially divide society and have a “dangerous impact”.The top court had also asked the Centre and the UGC to respond to three petitions challenging the new framework.The bench also questioned the exclusion of ragging from the regulations, noting that it remains a “common form of harassment” in educational institutions.The court had further observed that the wording of the 2026 regulations appeared “prima facie vague” and “capable of misuse”.Get the latest India News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.About the AuthorTOI News DeskThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most.”Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideosYoutuber Ajeet Bharti Lists 4 Big Demands At Jantar Mantar, Calls For Reservation Reform And MeritPM Modi Meets BJP’s New Team At Delhi HQ As Party Pushes Vande Mataram Legacy Nationwide‘48 Hours Or Sit-In’: Abhijeet Dipke Warns After CJP Team Allegedly Attacked Near Jaipur SchoolIndiGo Delhi-Gorakhpur Flight Makes Two Go-Arounds, Suffers Tail Impact During Third LandingPunjab Gangster’s Thar Rams Coconut Seller During Police Chase, CCTV Captures Entire IncidentRajasthan School Crisis: 611 Schools Lack Buildings, Thousands More Face Unsafe InfrastructureBJP Builds Gen Z Team As Rahul Gandhi Takes Student Outreach To Pune With ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’SC-ST Act Repeal, Creamy Layer Demand: Protesters Seek Major Overhaul Of India’s Reservation SystemBCI Chief Manan Mishra Rejects CJP’s Resignation Demand, Says Lawyers Can Never Be CockroachesH1N1 Cases Rise In Delhi: Health Minister Nadda Holds Meet, Reviews Swine Flu Situation123PhotostoriesWhy are Gen Zs losing more hair than millennials?5 signs you have a TOXIC wifeNayanthara’s ivory saree, gold choker and gajra are a masterclass in minimal but classic Onam style10 meaningful baby boy names inspired by positive human qualities10 famous foods that became popular when people had very little moneyFrom Ed Sheeran to Elton John: Stars who stay away from technologyBandhani to Leheriya: Indian textiles fashion lovers often mistake for each other7 telltale signs your ‘office bestie’ is quietly competing with youHair fall getting worse every monsoon? Expert explains what humidity, sweat and rainwater are doing to your scalp and how to prevent itFrom a net worth of over Rs 2,000 crores to a lavish house in Delhi: Shalini Passi’s luxurious lifestyle123Hot PicksTCS laptop monitoring softwareTNEA counselling3 year practice ruleCM Revanth ReddyWeather tomorrowNEET UG 2026US-Canada tradeSIM card rulesBank holiday todayTop TrendingMumbai Rape AirhostessReservation Hatao AndolanLucknow Double Murder SuicideMadhapur Road AccidentMaharashtra Hill TragedyAbhijeet DipkeJharkhand Factory FireRahul GandhiBengaluru RapidoAston Martin Crash


No permission for protest against UGC regulations, reservation system: Delhi Police
Anti-reservation protest at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar

NEW DELHI: No permission has been granted for Sunday’s planned protest against the UGC Equity Regulations, 2026, and the reservation system at Shah Auditorium in the capital, Delhi Police clarified.The police described videos circulating on social media claiming that permission had been granted as “false and misleading.”“It is further clarified that prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS (erstwhile Section 144 CrPC) are already in force in the North District. Accordingly, protest marches, processions, demonstrations, and assemblies of five or more persons are strictly prohibited,” the Delhi Police said.Urging citizens not to amplify, forward or share any unverified content on social media, the force warned of strict legal action against those found creating or disseminating fake news.This comes after a large number of people gathered at Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), calling for a complete overhaul of the reservation system.The protesters demanded that quotas in academics and employment be determined strictly by income levels rather than social or caste identities. They also advocated for a “one family, one reservation” policy and called for the immediate withdrawal of the University Grants Commission’s (UGC) 2026 caste-equity directives.Security personnel were present at Jantar Mantar as protesters assembled at the designated protest area. The police deployment was carried out as a precautionary measure amid the large gathering.RHA is an official Instagram page with 5.6 million followers. The platform rapidly gained traction by adopting the protest-mobilisation tactics of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), which led protests in Delhi against the NEET paper leak.

Share your thoughts in the comments