. JAGDALPUR: Home minister Amit Shah, who wound up his first visit to this erstwhile ‘Red’ pocket borough since Left-wing extremism was eliminated, on Tuesday listed four dates as milestones in the journey to making Bastar Naxal-free, the first being Dec 23, 2024, when a BJP govt was elected in Chhattisgarh; Aug 24, 2024, when the March 31, 2026, deadline for uprooting Naxalism was announced; March 31, 2026, before which Naxalism was completely uprooted; and May 19, 2026, which marked the launch of an initiative aimed at doorstep delivery of all govt benefits to the tribals of Bastar by repurposing security camps into one-stop public service centres. “It is a matter of great pride that Naxalism had been completely eradicated,” Shah said but added that a key obstacle in this journey until Dec 13, 2023, was the lack of cooperation from the erstwhile Congress govt in Chhattisgarh (headed by Bhupesh Baghel). “I can now say without any hesitation that while other non-BJP govts have cooperated in the fight against Naxalism, the Congress govt in Chhattisgarh did not,” he said at a press conference in Jagdalpur. “After the BJP govt was elected in Chhattisgarh on Dec 13, 2024, we stepped up our efforts. On Aug 24, 2024, after reviewing the LWE situation at the annual conference of police chiefs of all states, March 31, 2026, was declared the deadline for making the country Naxalism-free. The goal was achieved before the deadline ended.” The latest milestone he mentioned is May 19, 2026, when an initiative to create 70 Veer Saheed Gunda Dhur ‘seva dera’ (public service camps) and push integrated development across Bastar stands launched. “Contrary to the narrative peddled by the left-leaning intelligentsia that Naxalism was due to the lack of development in affected areas, the reality is that Naxalism was an outcome of lack of development,” he said. “There were far more backward areas in the country… why is it that Naxalism did not raise its head in these areas? The other areas eventually saw development, but Bastar remained backward with locals denied basic development…” “Now that Bastar is Naxal-free, an initiative to push integrated development has been launched… The aim is to compensate locals, denied benefits for the last five decades, with doorstep delivery of govt schemes and benefits.” About the AuthorBharti JainBharti Jain is senior editor with The Times of India, New Delhi. She has been writing on security matters since 1996. Having covered the Union home ministry, security agencies, Election Commission and the ‘prime’ political beat, the Congress, for The Economic Times all these years, she moved to TOI in August 2012. Her repertoire of news stories delves into the whole gamut of issues related to terrorism and internal strife, besides probing strategic affairs in India’s neighbourhood.Read MoreEnd of ArticleFollow Us On Social MediaVideosTMC MP Saayoni Ghosh Reacts After BJP Leader’s Alleged Rs 1 Crore Beheading Remark‘The World Needs More Sambandh’: Iceland PM Kristrún Frostadóttir Praises PM Modi At Oslo SummitTMC Candidate Jahangir Khan Pulls Out Of Falta Re-Poll 2 Days Before Voting | Headlines@9Out On Bail, Rape Accused Gets Grand Welcome In UP’s GhaziabadKanpur: ITBP Soldier Carries Mother’s Severed Hand to Police HQ After Alleged Hospital NegligenceFrom Islampura Back To Krishan Nagar: Pakistan Moves To Restore Lahore’s Pre-Partition Names’New Sunrise’: Amit Shah Unveils Bastar Development Push, Slams Previous Congress GovtDelhi Court Rejects Umar Khalid’s Interim Bail Plea In 2020 Riots CaseTMC Candidate Jahangir Khan Withdraws From Falta Repoll Days After ‘Pushpa’ Face-Off10 Arrests, 3 States: Meet The ‘Masterminds’ Of NEET-UG 2026 Paper Leak Now In CBI Custody123PhotostoriesJacqueline Fernandez turns Cannes 2026 into a vintage fashion fantasy with her glamorous sequin lookInside the Jolie-Pitt family: All about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s six childrenThink they’re polar bears? These 5 dogs can easily fool youDelhi records 44°C temperature: Ministry of Ayush recommends 12 foods and drinks for protection against heat-related illnessesVaping vs cigarettes: Why cancer doctors say young adults should stop believing the “safer alternative” mythSummer skincare tips: Natural ingredients to treat tanning and breakoutsMovies that were turned into popular web series: ‘LOTR,’ ‘Cobra Kai,’ ‘Dune: Prophecy,’ and moreInside Nawazuddin Siddiqui’s Rs. 96 crore net worth: Bungalow named after his father, pay packages, cars and everything you need to know10 surprising facts about gharials that make them different from other crocodiliansMeet the eyelash viper: One of nature’s most striking snakes123Hot PicksSBI apprentice recruitment 2026US Iran warCBSE Class 12 re-evaluation 2026Gold price predictionAdani Group stocksNEET exam cancelledTamil Nadu assemblyTop TrendingTwisha SharmaJEE AdvancedFifa World Cup 2026Subnautica 2 Enameled Glass GuideWWE Raw HighlightsIPL 2026IPL Orange Cap 2026India VS Afghanistan Squad AnnouncementLeviathan in Subnautica 2Fuel Price Hike
JAGDALPUR: Home minister Amit Shah, who wound up his first visit to this erstwhile ‘Red’ pocket borough since Left-wing extremism was eliminated, on Tuesday listed four dates as milestones in the journey to making Bastar Naxal-free, the first being Dec 23, 2024, when a BJP govt was elected in Chhattisgarh; Aug 24, 2024, when the March 31, 2026, deadline for uprooting Naxalism was announced; March 31, 2026, before which Naxalism was completely uprooted; and May 19, 2026, which marked the launch of an initiative aimed at doorstep delivery of all govt benefits to the tribals of Bastar by repurposing security camps into one-stop public service centres. “It is a matter of great pride that Naxalism had been completely eradicated,” Shah said but added that a key obstacle in this journey until Dec 13, 2023, was the lack of cooperation from the erstwhile Congress govt in Chhattisgarh (headed by Bhupesh Baghel). “I can now say without any hesitation that while other non-BJP govts have cooperated in the fight against Naxalism, the Congress govt in Chhattisgarh did not,” he said at a press conference in Jagdalpur. “After the BJP govt was elected in Chhattisgarh on Dec 13, 2024, we stepped up our efforts. On Aug 24, 2024, after reviewing the LWE situation at the annual conference of police chiefs of all states, March 31, 2026, was declared the deadline for making the country Naxalism-free. The goal was achieved before the deadline ended.” The latest milestone he mentioned is May 19, 2026, when an initiative to create 70 Veer Saheed Gunda Dhur ‘seva dera’ (public service camps) and push integrated development across Bastar stands launched. “Contrary to the narrative peddled by the left-leaning intelligentsia that Naxalism was due to the lack of development in affected areas, the reality is that Naxalism was an outcome of lack of development,” he said. “There were far more backward areas in the country… why is it that Naxalism did not raise its head in these areas? The other areas eventually saw development, but Bastar remained backward with locals denied basic development...” “Now that Bastar is Naxal-free, an initiative to push integrated development has been launched… The aim is to compensate locals, denied benefits for the last five decades, with doorstep delivery of govt schemes and benefits.”